Saturday, December 11, 2021

Flying Over Sunset

C

When I first read that James Lapine (Falsettos, Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park with George) had written the book for a Broadway musical about an LSD trip shared by Aldous Huxley (Harry Hadden-Payton; My Fair Lady), Clare Booth Luce (Carmen Cusack; Bright Star, Carrie) and Cary Grant (Tony Yazbeck; On the Town, Prince of Broadway), I thought it was a joke. When I learned that it was really true, I didn’t know whether to admire the producers for their bravery or pity them for their foolishness. I was encouraged that Lapine engaged Tom Kitt (Next to Normal, If/Then) to write the music and Michael Korie (Grey Gardens, War Paint) to write the lyrics. Regular readers of this blog know that, as a rule, I don’t think people should direct their own material because they are too close to it to be objective. Therefore, an alarm went off when I read that Lapine would also direct. It was with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension that I arrived at the theater today. I really hoped that something so far outside the box might succeed. Alas, it does not. Although there is much to admire —some fine performances, some glorious singing, a few satisfying scenes, clever choreography that incorporates tap, and spectacular sets and projections, its elements do not cohere and it ultimately adds up to very little. Nothing we learn about the three celebrities is that interesting. The back story of their LSD guide Gerald Heard (Robert Sella; Sylvia, Verité) is virtually ignored. The music and lyrics were disappointing. When it finally ended after 2 3/4 hours, I had to wonder what was the point. The four leads strive mightily to create full-blown characters. The other six cast members (Kanisha Marie Feliciano, Nepal Joshi, Emily Pynenburg, Michele Ragusa, Laura Shop and Atticus Ware) are all strong. At only 13, Ware has the presence of a Broadway veteran; his tap dance number with Yazbeck is one of the show’s highlights. Unfortunately, it is also one of the numbers that, while entertaining by themselves, do not advance the book or develop the characters. If I had to pick the people who come off best, it would be Beowulf Boritt (Act One, Sunday in the Park with George) for his amazing sets, 59 Productions (Oslo, An American in Paris) for their beautiful projections, and Michelle Dorrance, in her Broadway debut, for her innovative percussive choreography. I am not sorry that I saw it and salute Lincoln Center Theater for taking a chance on something so unconventional. However, my prevailing reaction is disappointment.


1 comment:

  1. Bob, I am really glad to read your review of this one as I wondered what you'd make of it. I certainly agree that Beowulf Boritt, 59 productions and Michelle Dorrance are the stars of the show. While I found Act 1 interesting with the history of how each of the 3 LSD tripped the first time and was more or less realistic, Act 2 was a big let-down. Being fiction, I didn't see the point about 3 privilidged white people wasting my time, on a set that wasn't as beautiful as the Act 1 ones were. One of the friends I saw it with knew Lapine quite well and assured me he does a lot of drugs (or did) so knows the territory, although we thought Act 2 was more like a cannabis trip.
    Next day I got out a v. large Huxley biography and read up on his LSD and other psychotrophic drug experiences. Lots of refs. to Gerald Heard but not Cary or Clare.

    ReplyDelete