Sunday, September 20, 2026

My 1,000th Post!


 

Little did I know back in 2010 what I was getting myself into when I started this blog by publishing a few lines about a play I had just seen to share my impressions with a few friends. As my comments grew more extensive, these friends shared them with their friends and the number of readers grew. I began seeing more shows and writing more elaborate reviews, reaching a peak of 112 in 2018. A combination of health problems and the pandemic slowed me down for several years and I hit bottom with only four reviews in 2024. The loyalty of my readers encouraged me not to give up. Thanks to my doctors and Access-A-Ride, NYC's paratransit program, I have been able to resume a good portion of my theatergoing. And so, as I reach this landmark, I offer my gratitude to my readers and resolve to continue for as long as possible to fulfill my stated mission -- to prevent readers from wasting time and money on plays they are not likely to enjoy and to point them toward worthy plays they might not know about.

15 comments:

  1. Mazel tov and thank YOU! I rely on your detailed reviews to guide my theater choices! To the next 1000🥂!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I value your reviews tremendously! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You have a wonderful writing style and I greatly appreciate reading your reviews. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on this milestone! I am like one of those people who reads book reviews, but never actually reads the book. I go to one Broadway show every five years or so but love reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being here!
    Your insights are very wel;come.
    Please continue for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations 🎉 for accomplishing 1000 Playgoer posts. I must admit that I have not read all 1000, but each one that I have read, was a delight. They are always so insightful and well written.

    No pressure, but I’m looking forward to reading another 1000 of your great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You have a wonderful writing style and I greatly appreciate reading your reviews. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mazel Tov Bob. A true accomplishment!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Bob.
    Keep doing what you do best.
    I’m convinced that”s key to leading fulfilling life.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appreciate your tenacious coverage of New York theater!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forget the newspaper reviews. Go to Gotham Playgoer and hope Bob has seen the play before you decide to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Bob! Congrats and thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, a STANDING OVATION for you then and well-earned. I am very much guided by your reviews and enjoy reading them and catching your enthusiasms. All the best and many thanks, Deborah McManus

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup. I add to the thank yous. Great job and delightful well written reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So grateful for your insightful and erudite observations, dear Bob...Wishing you good health and energy for many more reviews.......

    ReplyDelete