C+
First, some background: Schmigadoon is the stage adaptation of Apple TV+’s six-episode show’s first season, which was intended as a parody of and homage to the musicals of the 40’s and 50’s. The tv series’ co-creators, Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio, wrote a second season about musicals of the 60’s and 70’s which was streamed and a third season about 80’s and 90’s musicals which was not. Triple-threat Cinco Paul wrote the music, lyrics and book for the stage version, which the New York Times made a Critic’s Pick. In a season in which the number of new musicals was so low that there were only four nominees instead of five for best musical, Schmigadoon took home the Tony. Even with these accolades, I was reluctant to see it because I found the TV version too twee and gave up after two episodes. However, after an extremely knowledgeable friend told me it was a “must see” and an opportunity arose to see it at a group price, I bought a ticket. I was not surprised that I did not find it to my taste; I was surprised that six of the ten people I attended with left at intermission. So what was the problem? The first act gets off to a slow non-musical start. When the music finally begins, we get a series of songs that sound a lot alike accompanied by dances (by Christopher Gatelli, who also directed) that look a lot alike. I also did not find the lead characters engaging and felt little stake in the outcome. I won’t even try to explain the details of the plot. Suffice to say that two doctors from New York, while on a camping trip in the Catskills, get trapped in a magical town where everyone bursts into song at the slightest excuse. We learn how they affect the townspeople and how the townspeople affect them. It’s one of the rare shows that improves in the second act, which opens with a terrific group tap number. The writing is sharper, the stakes are higher, and the story takes greater risks. I enjoyed the mandatory dream ballet which features a pas de deux in front of a vending machine. The cast and the production values are topnotch. Alex Brightman as John, the doctor with the commitment problem, who hates musicals and refuses to sing, makes a fine straight man. Sara Chase, as his long-suffering partner Melissa, acts well and sure can belt a song. Ana Gasteyer, Ann Harada, Brad Oscar, Maulik Pancholy, Max Clayton and McKenzie Kurtz all excel in their supporting roles. The costumes by Linda Cho and sets by Scott Pask are a treat for the eyes and the orchestrations by Doug Besterman and Mike Morris please the ear. I wish the entire show were up to the level of the best moments of the second act. The show panders unabashedly to three segments of the intended audience – feminists who will enjoy seeing women learn to be independent, gay men who will appreciate its fairy (no slur intended) tale of universal acceptance, and avid musical lovers who will feel clever identifying all the references to other musicals. If you have access to Apple TV+, I suggest sampling the TV series before you commit to buying a ticket. Running time: two hours 35 minutes including intermission.
Aw c’mon Bob— how about a B-?
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling stingy today.
ReplyDeleteA fun and informative read. Perspicacious, too, I'm sure. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteTwee!.A new word in my vocabulary! Great review, Bob! One to miss.
ReplyDeleteGlad someone else wasn’t in love with this.
ReplyDelete