Saturday, April 20, 2019

My Fair Lady (revisited)

A+


When Lincoln Center Theater offered members the chance to see My Fair Lady a second time at member prices, I jumped at the opportunity. In my review a year ago (https://gotham-playgoer.blogspot.com/2018/04/my-fair-lady.html), I said “It’s a near-perfect production of what many have called the perfect musical.” Since then, there have been several cast changes which, without exception, have improved the production. I can now say that the show is even nearer perfection than before. To no one’s surprise, Laura Benanti (She Loves Me, Gypsy) is superb as Eliza. Likewise, Rosemary Harris (A Delicate Balance, The Royal Family) makes a wonderful Mrs. Higgins. Danny Burstein (South Pacific, Follies) is a natural as Alfred P. Doolittle. Christian Dante White (Hello, Dolly, Shuffle Along…) not only has a fine voice, but also manages to breathe some life into the role of Freddy Eynsford-Hill. Lastly, Clarke Thorell (The Front Page, Annie) has eliminated the offensively effete portrayal of Zoltan Karpathy. Happily, Harry Hadden-Paton and Allan Corduner are back as Henry Higgins and Colonel Pickering, respectively, and have deepened their portrayals. Everything else is still there — the amazing set, the gorgeous costumes, the lively choreography, the large orchestra and, of course, the masterful score and book. I liked it even better the second time around. Running time: two hours 45 minutes including intermission.

2 comments: